Skip to main content
Accosted by Jehova's Witnesses

The old ring at the door. "Are we expecting anybody?" asks my dad. The answer is no. Instead it's Jehova's witnesses, which I answer. Let the sport begin!

Opening gambit: they ask what is the name of God? I answer Yawhe. They seem impressed, then correct me when I also say "God", which they say is only his title. Ok. Then they ask about morality. This is an excellent topic of debate. Where do morals come from? They say God, and he is a person. I argue that he is not human, or that he has thoughts and morals. They ask if I have thought about God seriously, I answer yes, and have rejected the idea, saying that it is a mistake to give God human characteristics.

Is society going downhill? They claim it is going downhill, I claim humans have always been fairly rotten to each other. I immediately lay my cards on the table. I say that psychology, and morals are evolved, and did not come from God. They claim morality comes from God as written in the bible. I ask why the bible has authority, and I suggest it was made up, and that people 2,3,4 thosand years ago did not have direction from God, and were indeed more ignorant than we are today. I baldly say that the Bible was made up. They don't really have an answer.

JW seem to be creationists. There seems to be a strong resistance to evolution, claiming that all animals and plants were placed here by God. I disagree. I think it's better to be blunt and tell someone when you think they are mistaken, since it moves the argument along. I also suggested that they were a closed community, who are merely talking to each other rather than finding out the facts about evolution. Also I say that all scientists believe in evolution, and that there is ample evidence, for example fossils and DNA. They claim there are unexplainable gaps in the fossil record.

They seem busy and want to move on. I conclude by trying to explain the meaning of scientific certainty, by arguing that although scientists don't have an absolute faith, the certainty of evolution is as certain that the earth is round, or that the earth revolves the sun, and that when scientists argue about evolution, they are only discussing its minor details, not the theory as a whole. They ask that life-on-earth nature programs always refer to the "theory" of evolution, I answer that theory does not imply wrong, and indeed David Attenburgh is a strong supporter of evolution. Her partner corrects her: indeed he is.

Finally to conclude, they say they believe God is coming, and that he will intervene to stop humanity from destroying the world. They also say he has intervened in the past. I say that he has not, nor will he. We shake hands and they leave.

I don't know what lasting impression I gave. They were probably a little perturbed that I had a well thought out world-view that did not include their god, and that I understood their position perfectly. They felt a little outmanoevered on science, however they probably put that down to their lack of reading, but that some scientific books produced by Watchtower would cover it. I declined. But I never felt that they could really argue a point: when we disagreed, it was always answered by some kind of anecdote, usually based on wrong facts. They are seriously misrepresenting science. I feel it a little dangerous to assume that God will stop us from destroying the planet, this is a seriously worrying development since it means it's ok continue to destroy with impunity.

I felt a bit cheated, since all they really told me in 20 minutes was that: (a) God is his title not his name, (b) morality comes from God, (c) God is a person (d), all life was placed here, there was no evolution, (e) God is coming. I don't see any reason to believe that, and the argument jumped around and did not run very deep. I think it is unfortunate that evolution is often prefixed with "theory". We also say the big bang theory, often it is just called "the big bang". I would instead urge people to not say "Christianity", but the "Theory of Christianty", and not "God", but the "Theory of God". I think that would be the perfect reposte to anybody who insists that evolution is just a theory. Even then, putting them on a quasi-equal footing is wrong.

It's pretty important to challenge people who come to your door, even if it's just for 20 minutes. The JWs left feeling uneasy, since they couldn't really counter my objections.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ezekiel 6:7

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking the Article 50 Impasse

Andrew Tyrie overestimates the UK's control over when the UK government can invoke Article 50. As with much of the Brexit debate, hope and aspiration trump cold hard reality. The next few months will see a lot of work by the UK government setting up new departments and policy positions relating to the triggering of Article 50 and Britain's exit from the EU. This is a sensible and necessary delay. However this article by The Independent makes the case that the UK should delay invoking Article 50 until we establish an informal agreement with the EU on our exit terms. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-theresa-may-andrew-tyrie-must-manage-unrealistic-expectations-warns-tory-mp-a7220681.html This is very desirable from the UK's perspective, but flatly contradicts statements by the EU (including direct statements by Jean-Claude Juncker, Donald Tusk and Cecilia Malmström, as well as official EU policy) that no talks can happen prior to invoking Article 50

Simulation independence

I recently came across Nick Boström's article about the simulation argument , which goes that there is a non-zero chance that we are actually simulated individuals, and not actually made of carbon at all. It was spun out of The Matrix series of movies, though is a recurring theme right from Descartes and the Brain in a Vat. Key to this idea is the argument of substrate independence , that is, carbon-based cells are not the only possible way of conjuring consciousness. Surely it isn't the carbon-based molecules per se that cause consciousness, but rather their configuration, and the kinds of computation (if that's the right word) being performed. Surely any "computer program" that reproduces the workings of the brain sufficiently well would suffice, since its operation and outputs would be essentially identical to the biological brain. The simulation argument goes that we are not all that far from achieving that level of computation, so therefore there may wel